Friday 10 June 2011

A Cuban Agventure... what it's all about

A Cuban Agventure


See what I did there?!


Alas, definitely cannot claim this as an original title. Nor for that matter am I the first to depart with a curious mind to explore Cuba's relatively unique model of food production. It's a popular topic, and for good reason. But for me it's a first. I've a large appetite to learn about how we produce our food, why and to what ends worldwide, as well as a love of the language and culture of Latin America, just enough dollars/euros/sterling (I'll soon find out what currency they DO take in Cuba!) to take some time out of work before I begin a graduate position at Sainsbury's and I've had some (hopefully) brilliant advice on who to contact and where to go. The blog fits in as a means to document my experience - good, bad and ugly. I can't promise the grammatical and spelling mistakes won't drive you crazy but hang in there if you can* and for my part I'll promise to give an honest and hopefully entertaining (probably improving as time goes by) account of my time on the island. 

*Family have no choice. 

Why agriculture?
Years ago my fascination with food (growing, processing, politics, economics, big big industry, alternative production systems etc) was awakened by speaker and bread baker extraordinaire, Andrew Whitley, (of Village Bakery fame). He opened my eyes, mind and taste buds to the state of the modern bread 'industry', and with it to the history and contemporary paradigm of our global food systems. This, combined with my spoilt upbringing on an organic and almost self sufficient small holding in a beautiful corner of the New Forest gave me some clear direction. The more I read, explored and worked within this are, the more interested I became. I was especially fortunate to work on some game changing projects: from educational work at the world leading Laverstoke Park Farm in Hampshire to research and writing for Felicity Lawrence at the Guardian, from placements in Sainsbury's Corporate Responsibility and Brand Sustainability to fix the food chain campaigns with Friends of the Earth.

But for all the talk and lucky breaks I'm yet to gain the on the ground-get your hands dirty - how to actually grow something edible - experience so important in this - and indeed any - line of work. Of course, I realise 2 months tucked away on a small island won't a farmer/grower/agricultural guru make me (for closer to that check out the journey of these two intrepid bloggers (Ned and Charlotte - with a similar passion but more time and stamina - cycling from North North America to Nicaragua, documenting their agricultural experience on the way). But I do hope it will take me that little bit further along the journey.

Why Cuba?
It could have been any of the C's. Cuba, Costa Rica, Colombia. But Cuba stood out. (And I'm squeezing in CR at the end of this trip and think Colombia deserves a trip to itself in the future...) 

A few years ago I learnt about Cuba's so called 'special period' in the fascinating documentary (used widely by the Transition Town movement) 'Power of Community' which details Cuba's radical (agricultural) transformation in the face of its own Peak Oil conundrum. More details on this to come...


With the country decided I took some advice on the specifics and soon chose to spend the majority of my time working at one of the best examples of community food production in Havana, the Vivero Organopónico Alamar - an urban allotment on the outskirts of Havana. (some info below for starters...)

Established in the ’90s, the UBPC Vivero Organopónico Alamar (vivero means nursery) is one of the country’s most successful neighborhood-managed worker-owned cooperative urban organic farms. Raising a wide range of organic vegetables and grafted fruits, ornamental plants, medicinal herbs, and high-quality seedlings, crops and products are sold directly, from a colorful farm stand, to neighbors from the adjacent community as well as to nearby residential and collective farms. Today Vivero Alamar occupies some 11 hectares (27 acres) where a workforce of some 140 men and women employ the practice of permaculture – no chemical fertilizers and pesticides – to raise crops. Using natural biological methods to nourish the soil, frustrate pests and conserve water, the result is increased yields and reduced costs. Vivero Alamar also sells a range of organic composts and mulches and a selection of patio plants.
***

So, I've packed the rucksack, set up the blog, put some cakes in the freezer (so I'm not too missed), kissed good-bye to the iphone (temporary number: 00447974531588) and tomorrow...heat, hurricanes and Havana!

1 comment:

  1. Amazing. i am looking forward to making my way through this blog darling xx

    ReplyDelete